Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Kimberly Brubaker Bradley & Polly

Who is in the photo at right?

I'm Kimberly Brubaker Bradley, and I write children's historical fiction. Polly is a female Lhasa Apso, right around 10 years old. (She would like to apologize for her goofy-looking ears, and say emphatically that it was not her fault. The groomer did it.)

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I drink coffee every morning. Polly does not drink coffee, but she has a special kind of dog treat she would like to have every morning. She doesn't always get one, but she usually does.

What's brewing?

A French press dark roast with copious amounts of half-and-half.

Any treats for you or Polly and Sarah on this occasion?

No, this isn't a special occasion. Polly and I go to work every morning.

How were you and Polly united?

I bought her as a gift for my husband, because he had a Lhasa growing up. But she's become a joint dog. She likes being with me during the day.

How did your dog get her name? Any aliases?

Our first dog was named Under Dog, and so we named our second Sweet Polly Purebred, the name of Underdog's consort. (Under died a few years ago, at an advanced age. We still miss him.)

Does Polly do more to help or hinder your writing?

It depends on the day. Usually she sits in the windowseat of my office and lets me know if anyone is coming up the driveway. Sometimes, especially in winter when the heating vent under my desk is blowing warm air, she comes and lays on my feet. I find that very companionable. Sometimes, however, she falls asleep and snores so loudly that I have to go wake her up. I can't write with that much commotion.

Has Polly inspired the creation of any fictional dogs? Has Sarah inspired the creation of any fictional horses?

I'm astonished to realize that I don't have any dogs in my fiction. I'll have to remedy that. Sarah, my mare, has not yet inspired a fictional horse, but probably will some day as she's quite a character. Butter, the pony in The War That Saved My Life and The War I Finally Won, was inspired by Pal, my daughter's darling quarterhorse.

Cat, postman, rabbit...?

Polly is afraid of the barn cats, with good reason. She once almost tackled a groundhog, but thought the better of it at the last moment.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

No. Polly is too dignified for any of that nonsense. She does not fetch, and has no interest in playing with things she can not eat.

Is Sarah the mare Polly's best pet-pal, or is there a canine that holds that honor?

Her best pet-pal is her cousin Bogey, my sister's dog. We often take our dogs with us when we visit each other.

What is Polly's best quality?

Attentiveness.

If Polly could change one thing about Tennesseans, what would it be?

Nothing. All her favorite people are Tennesseans.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Polly and Sarah could speak, who should voice them?

No idea--I'm not a movie person.

What advice would Polly give if asked?

Get plenty of sleep.

Visit Kimberly Brubaker Bradley's website.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment: