Thursday, October 6, 2016

Kelly Nelson & Sophie

Who is in the photo at right?

Hi! I am Kelly Nelson and the little cutie next to me is Sophie. At my job I crunch numbers, hunt down missing receipts, and tell scientists to stop spending money but during my free time I can be found training for my first half marathon, blogging about my training at The Hangry Waffle, and binge watching Netflix with Sophie. She is particularly fond of romance comedies. Sophie is a 6 year old maltipoo who has yet to find a lap that she did not like to be in.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

During the work week drinking coffee is a necessity but during the weekend drinking coffee becomes a treat. My schedule slows down and I am able to enjoy sitting at one of my favorite coffee shops with family and friends enjoying a latte. Today Sophie and I joined my brother Kevin for a coffee date.

What's brewing?

Sophie is enjoying a puppuccino (straight up whip cream) while I am having a greentea latte made with almond milk.

How were you and Sophie united?

I got Sophie when I lived in a small town in Oklahoma. The breeder had 2 puppies left and I choose Sophie because she was independent and had a sense of adventure. She was 13 weeks old and a 4 pound ball of fluff yet she was not afraid of anything.

How did your dog get her name? Any aliases?

When it came to naming my pup I was torn between naming her Sophia, after the leading female character in the movie Letters to Juliette. Or, naming her Bear, because she looked like a mini polar bear from behind as a puppy. I ended up combining these two names and naming her Sophia Bear but only call her by her full name when she is in trouble.

Does Sophie do more to help or hinder your running goals?

She helped me recover from rupturing my Achilles tendon by steadily increasing the distance of our evening walks until we were walking 3+ miles without my ankle swelling. While she does not run with me these days she does help me loosen up my leg muscles up by walking with me then giving me kisses as I foam roll.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

She is a little squirrel hunter but has yet to actual catch one.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Squeaky-toys all the way. The squeakier the better… well, for Sophie, not so much me.

Who is Sophie's best pet-pal?

Sophie’s best pet-pal these days is Bandit, my parents’ 1-year-old springer spaniel puppy.

What is Sophie's best quality?

I would have to say Sophie’s best quality is her confidence. She has yet to meet a stranger and will happily sit in anyone’s lap whether or not she was invited. At the dog park she will go say hi to everyone there. She loves attention and she is not afraid to get it.

If Sophie could change one thing about you, what would it be?

She would change my inability to sit still for long periods at a time so that I would stop moving her in between episodes during our evenings filled with Netflix marathoning.

If Sophie could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

Sophie, do you think I am crazy?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Sophie could speak, who should voice her?

It would have to be Kristen Bell.

What advice would Sophie give if asked?

Great things await right outside your comfort zone.

Visit The Hangry Waffle website.

--Marshal Zeringue

2 comments: