Monday, July 4, 2016

Eliza & Teddy and D'Art

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Eliza. In my spare time I write a blog called Forest Poodles, inspired by my two Standard Poodles – Teddy and D’Art. We live in the forest, so the title seemed fitting.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

The poodles and I are enjoying the summer weather outside in our garden. We try to get outside a few times a day. A cup of coffee in hand makes it even better!

What's brewing?

Decaf organic coffee made in a French press, served with cream and honey from my own beehives.

Any treats for you or your dogs on this occasion?

The poodles just ate breakfast and coffee isn't really their beverage of choice. They like cream though and would drink it by the bowl full if I let them!

How were you and your dogs united?

Teddy was adopted from a local last-chance shelter that accepts dogs from other overcrowded, high-euthanasia rate shelters. We adopted him at age 4, he is now 8. D'Art was also adopted. He came to us as a senior, at one month shy of his 9th birthday. He is now 12. It is hard to remember life before adopting these guys. They are family.

How did your dogs get their names? Any aliases?

Seeing as both Teddy and D'Art joined the family as adults, it didn’t seem fair on them to change their names. Teddy is commonly referred to as Teddy Bear, and although D'Art's full name is D'Artagnan, he mostly goes by D'Art.

What is each dog's best quality?

Teddy is nature lover. He has no prey drive and is happiest in the peace and quiet of the forest. I love this about him, as it matches my own personality nicely. D'Art is a happy go-lucky guy. He loves just about everyone he meets. I recently took him to meet my mum off a ferry and he gave everyone who came out before her an excited tail wag and smile.

Tennis ball, stick, squeaky-toy...?

Teddy - tennis ball. He lives for playing ball!

D'Art - stuffy. He is very gentle with his stuffed toys and they last forever!

Postman, cat, squirrel...?

Teddy – Postman.

D'Art - Bunny.

Who are your dogs' best pet-pals?

The poodles are lucky to have a few friends. They know two other standard poodles, as well as a family of four Australian Shepherd/Catahoula/Blue Heeler mixes. They play nicely with, and enjoy the company of, other large dogs.

If your dogs could change one thing about you, what would it be?

Teddy would probably like it if I had more time and energy. That way we could go for a bike ride everyday!

D'Art would probably like it if I quit my job and spent all day snuggling with him.

If your dogs could answer only one question in English, what would you ask them?

I would ask Teddy about what kind of animals he can smell in the woods. I know he knows better than I do what’s out there!

I would ask D'Art if he has any aches and pains that I don't know of (he's getting a bit stiff and sore as he ages).

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which your dogs could speak, who should voice them?

D'Art would be voiced by someone with a slow, deep, calm voice like Morgan Freeman. Teddy might be best voiced by someone with a bit more animation, like Tom Hanks. Of course, someone else would have to play me, as next to that lineup I wouldn't stand a chance!

What advice would your dogs give if asked?

Teddy would probably remind everyone to be still and observe the nature around you. He may also say, be kind to others and always play with a ball!

D'Art would probably advise that dogs do indeed like hugs, (at least dogs like him do) and to make sure you give and get some everyday!

Visit the Forest Poodles blog.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. What a charming interview. And can I come to the forest for coffee some time? Fresh honey...sounds divine. The Forest Poodles are so charming and delightful, thank you for sharing them online. ღ

    ReplyDelete