Monday, April 18, 2016

Tracy Walker & Skylar

Who is in the photo at right?

I’m Tracy from Austin, Texas, by day I do PR and community outreach for a radio station and by night I write about the sweet things in life including my puppy and food!

Skylar is my sweet ‘puppy’, although she turns 9 this month she’ll always be my puppy. She’s a beagle and I adopted her 5 years ago from Austin’s Hound Rescue.

She’s my first dog as an adult. She has changed me in so many ways and I am forever grateful to her.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

What’s not to love about pancakes and coffee?

Skylar and I love to go to an Austin landmark eatery called Kerbey Lane Café. If you visit Austin you must be sure to visit Kerbey Lane (head to the original on the actual Kerbey Lane). They’re open 24/7 and serve breakfast all day and they have a dog friendly patio. Skylar’s a big fan of pancakes and so is mom!

So we frequently have coffee and pancakes at Kerbey Lane!

What's brewing?

I’m so old school. Mr. Coffee meets Gevalia. I don’t subscribe to the Gevalia club, although I once did. Ssshh don’t tell anyone.

I’m segueing into tea, yes chai tea. I’m moving towards giving up coffee and it’s a slow process. I’m not going down easy. There’s lots of kicking and screaming happening in our household.

When we’re grabbing coffee out, it’s regular coffee with hazelnut cream. The best.

Any treats for you or Skylar on this occasion?

On outings we always take a snack pack for Skylar with peanut butter cookies or cheese sticks (a doggie treat)…all natural of course.

We never leave home without her popup bowl.

How were you and Skylar united?

Austin’s Hound Rescue brought us together. She was my third try. After two dramatic failed attempts with other beagles they brought this older gal over to my house.

She immediately took to my side while walking. Of course trained already, the girl was mild and easy going. Just like me.

The more we’ve been around each other I’ve discovered we’re more alike than I realized. We’re both head strong. Stubborn actually. Skylar likes things her way, and well, so do I. Either she can’t hear or pretends not to hear. And I can’t hear. Not as well as I used to. Maybe it’s too many concert promotions that I’ve been a part of.

Even at her age and mine for that matter, we’re both athletic and love to run sprints.

She’s got a set of wheels on her and so do I. Mine are from years of teaching dance and fitness classes as a hobby. Hers are genetic.

How did your dog get her name? Any aliases?

I adopted Skylar and kept her original name. At first, I was disappointed she didn’t have a ‘normal doggie name’.

Weeks passed and I realized why in the world would I have wanted to change her name? She’s perfect in every sense. She’s more than I could have ever have hopped for in a dog, in a companion, in a friend or a confidant.

I love her just the way she is. She’s precious in every way, just like me. This is one of the greatest things Skylar has taught me.

Skylar has so many nick names it’s a wonder she’s not confused all the time.

“Baby Bug”, cause she’s a love bug, a snuggle bug all in one!

“Biddles”, cause one day I combined two terms of endearment, Little & Bug somehow came out Biddles.

Does Skylar have a role at your blog's headquarters?

Skylar’s my co-pilot in every thing. She’s the head of creativity and actively participates in the imaginative brainstorming process. Many times she provides the content. Skylar is the ultimate networker among people and can be a real self promoter when she’s on her game.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Neither. She doesn’t chase anything. I’m not sure of the environment she was raised in. But she is kind, sweet, gentle, and she loves me.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Skylar is ‘no toy and all snuggle’. She’ll take a blankey, a pillow or mom’s goose down comforter any day.

Who is Skylar's best pet-pal?

Skylar’s her own girl. She keeps to herself and she likes it that way. Her best pal is the bunny in the yard. His name is Rockey. She’s happy go lucky even when he’s in the yard.

What is Skylar's best quality?

She is oh so affectionate. So sweet.

Where is Skylar's favorite outdoor destination?

Any restaurant with a patio, especially one that serves queso.

If Skylar could change one thing about you, what would it be?

She has changed so much in me by showing me who I really am; precious just as I am, lovable, and worth it.

I know she would like me to be around more. She would change my schedule. I work a full time job and teach fitness classes some evenings.

The ultimate situation would be a dog friendly work place. She’s great in the office, she’ll lay under my desk at my feet and snooze.

If Skylar could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

What was your childhood like? I’d love to know about her siblings and her living situation, what made her as she is today.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Skylar could speak, who should voice her?

Jody Foster. She’s tough, she stands on her own, is smart and in good shape. She’s reserved and not altogether outgoing but sweet as can be, gentle too.

She can be a force to reckoned with and relentless. She likes to know the lay of the land.

What advice would Skylar give if asked?

I will take care of you no matter what. Our God is a big God and He is capable of mighty things. There is a Heaven. So please don’t worry one second because worrying is useless and wasteful. Even when we part, we will be together again.

Visit Tracy Walker's blog, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

--Marshal Zeringue

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your great post Tracy and Marshall- Our God is a big God and His is capable of mighty things...don't worry for one second...Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you, skylar. That is good advice. Lady Caroline

    ReplyDelete