Monday, June 8, 2015

Wesley Banks & Story

Who is in the photo at right?

I’m Wesley Banks, author and engineer. This is my dog Story. She’s a 6 year old Carolina Dog. And we just got done exploring the outer rim of the Grand Canyon in this picture.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

We’re celebrating my new novel, Hope In Every Raindrop, which came out in May! And of course it’s got Carolina Dogs in it.

What's brewing?

Believe it or not, I just recently tried my first ever ice coffee. The jury is still out.

Any treats for you or Story on this occasion?

We aren’t that big on treats, but…we can’t pass up anything fried. I try not to share too much with her, but she has perfected the head-on-lap and sad-puppy-dog-eyes face.

How did your dog get her name? Any aliases?

Story is a play on the word history. She was born at Lynches River Kennel to Mingo and Biscuit. Her father Mingo, was reunited with breeder Don Anderson and the line of black Carolina Dogs thought to be lost, was preserved. Don Anderson, told me this litter was “history in the making,” and that’s how I came up with Story.

I call her “Storebador” most of the time. I really have no idea why. I think it makes her sound like a superhero, haha.

How were you and Story united?

I knew Don Anderson from my previous Carolina Dog, so when I found out he had a black Carolina Dog litter, I drove up there immediately.

How does Story help--or hinder--your work?

Story (and my first dog Pace) were the inspiration for Hope In Every Raindrop. Without them I may not have had the idea for this book.

Have any actual dogs inspired fictional dogs in your novel?

Hope In Every Raindrop is about a best-selling author who happens upon America’s oldest dog breed and the man that raises them. The breed just happens to be a fictional breed called Carolina Gray, which is a cross between a Gray Wolf and a Carolina Dog. A lot of the dogs in the story are based around personality traits of dogs we’ve had in our family over the years.

Squirrel, postman, cat....?

I think Story has a special cat radar. I know there is a cat nearby when she stops dead in her tracks.

Who is Story’s best pet-pal?

Definitely our other dog Linkin. He’s a rescue, dalmation/boxer mix, and a couple years older. Though sometimes she has a little too much energy for him.

What is Story’s best quality?

It may sound kind of cliché, but her passion for life is unmatched. She goes at everything 110%.

If Story could change one thing about you, what would it be?

She would probably prefer that we live outside and purchase about 1000 tennis balls. Even after an hour walk, or a long hike, she will go sit by the door and hope someone plays catch with her.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Story could speak, which actress should do her voice?

That’s a tough one. I’m going to go with Rachel Weisz, only because she was the voice of Saphira in Eragon, and that seems fitting.

If your dogs could answer only one question in English, what would you ask them?

Am I as good a friend to you, as you are to me?

What advice would Story give if asked?

There is a book by Mark Rowlands, The Philosopher and the Wolf. In it he discusses the difference in the way humans perceive time, versus the way wolves or dogs perceive time. He eventually comes to the conclusion that humans struggle to fully live in the moment because we are so focused on the past or future, unlike dogs who fully commit to every experience.
I think Story would simply say, “Be great in the moment, and your moments will add up to greatness.”

Visit Wesley Banks's website, Facebook page and Instagram page.

--Marshal Zeringue

No comments:

Post a Comment