Monday, February 23, 2015

Holly S. Roberts & Dizzy and Duchess

Who is in the photo at right?

This is Dizzy, she’s a nine month old Rottweiler. She’s my sidekick in just about everything.

I’m Holly S. Roberts, a retired police detective, and now a full-time writer as well as Dizzy’s mom.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

We are celebrating my twenty-fourth book, Slam. This our favorite old bench to enjoy any sun we can find.

What's brewing?

My Fang Chronicles’ mug holds almond cappuccino with a dollop of coconut cream. Dizzy’s mug has water with a sprinkle of love.

Any treats for you or your dogs on this occasion?

This outdoor excursion is Dizzy’s treat. She thinks I spend too much time in my office writing and not enough time outside enjoying the beauty.

How did your dogs get their names? Any aliases?

Somehow when I hold a puppy for the first time, their name appears in my head as if by magic. She became Dizzy a minute after I wrapped my arms around he fluffy body.

How were you and your dogs united?

Dizzy comes from a litter of eight. She was the only puppy not spoken for due to her timid nature. She’s packed full of anxiety issues and needed me as much as I needed her.

[photo left: Dizzy at five weeks]

Have any real dogs influenced fictional dogs in your writing?

My Rottweiler before Dizzy was Charlie. I lost her when she was six due to cancer. Like Dizzy, she was perpetually by my side. Her loss was extremely difficult and I wrote the book, The Forever Team (under my pen name Suzie Ivy), in remembrance of her incredible but short life. The Forever Team is part of the 10-Code Anthology, books written by cops to honor officers who gave their lives in the line of duty.

How do your dogs help--or hinder--your writing?

Well… as a rambunctious nine-month-old very large puppy she requires lots of attention and enjoys hindering my writing as often as possible.

Cat, postman, squirrel....?

Most definitely squirrels. We’re surrounded by them and Dizzy thinks they were put on earth to drive her crazy.

Squeaky-toy, ball, stick...?

Her weasel squeaky-toy is her favorite. She carries it, tosses it in the air, and loves a good game of tug.

Where is your dogs' favorite outdoor destination?

The dog park where she cowers from any dog that gets near her. She hides behind any human she can find. We never explained to her that she’s a dog. I’m hoping no one ever does.

Who are your dogs' best pet-pals?

My husband’s Chihuahua, Duchess, is Dizzy’s best friend. Duchess doesn’t agree though. She’s old and fat and just pretends to like Dizzy so she can steal the occasional kibble.

What is each dog's best quality?

Dizzy is wonderful with my grandchildren and thinks she’s one of them. All my Rottweilers have been great with kids but Dizzy is the absolute best. Again we haven’t told her the truth about being a dog.

If your dogs could change one thing about Arizonans, what would it be?

They wouldn’t take their dogs to the dog park. They would come just to give Dizzy attention.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which your dogs could speak, which actors should do their voices?

Lucile Ball for Dizzy and Vivian Vance for Duchess.

If your dogs could answer only one question in English, what would you ask them?

If you can pull all your toys out, why can’t you put them away?

What advice would your dogs give if asked?

Dizzy would advise me to go outside and smell the roses more often.

Visit Holly S. Roberts's website.

--Marshal Zeringue

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than waking up to a cold nose and warm breath on your face every morning!!! Thank you Suzy Ivy, Holly Roberts, D,Elen McClain, & (Debby) for sharing you Beautiful Fur-baby with us!!!!

    ReplyDelete