Thursday, January 1, 2015

Jennifer Findlay & Daisy and Stella

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Jennifer Findlay, and I’m sitting with Daisy, my 7-year-old Labradoodle. I’m a homemaker, mom, wife, sister and photographer. So I wear a lot of hats around here. I also have Stella, a 5-year-old Poodle/Bijon mix dog. At least that’s what we think she is. She is a rescue dog that was found wet, muddy and cold in a construction site ditch when she was just a wee puppy.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

My beautiful dogs and I always sit together on the couch every morning for coffee and cuddles. In fact, I called my photography blog Coffee & Couch, because that’s usually where I can be found doing all my online work and play.

What's brewing?

I’m drinking a cup of Starbucks House Blend I made with my Keurig machine. One of my pet peeves is tepid coffee. I really love it when my coffee is piping hot, and I have gone through so many types of coffee devices looking for just the right one. Sadly, I still haven’t found one that gets my coffee hot enough. Sigh. If anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears!

Any treats for you or Daisy and Stella on this occasion?

Daisy and Stella don’t get treats, because Daisy has pancreatitis. She relapses easily, so we have banned all treats, human food, and high-fat dog food. We give them lots of love though. Daisy goes crazy for ear scratches and belly rubs. Stella thinks it’s blissful when I let her lick my hands or toes. I know...it’s weird, but I don’t mind as long as she’s happy.

How did your dogs get their names? Any aliases?

We used to get weekly pictures of Daisy from the time she was born until we were able to bring her home, and she just looked like a precious little daisy, so that’s why we called her Daisy.

Stella’s story is a bit more convoluted and fraught with hilarity. My sister originally fell head-over-heals in love with Stella when she spotted her being delivered to the SPCA as a puppy. Unfortunately, my sister’s circumstances changed and she wasn’t able to adopt Stella. So we stepped in to take her. Everyone who meets Stella falls in love with her. She snuggles right into your neck if you pick her up, and she’s perpetually happy. When my extended family met her, it was mass love-at-first-sight and an epic competition to choose her name ensued—because that’s just how we roll as a family. One sister insisted on Stella. The other wanted the name Lucy. We thought Popcorn would be the best, because she bounced around like a popping kernel of corn. My sister who lost out on adopting her wanted the name Stella. So you can see who won. At family gatherings, Stella is addressed as Stella-Lucia-Popocorno. No, we’re not Italian. We’re just a bit crazy.

Squirrel, postman, cat....?

Cat... Squirrel... Postman...Walkers.... Suspicious Vehicles ... they’re all victims!

These dogs perch themselves on the top of my couch like sentries keeping guard. If they even spot a gum wrapper flying by, they’ll bark. They’re absolutely lawless dogs!

Stick, ball, squeaky-toy...?

Daisy is far too dignified to even acknowledge toys. Stella, on the other hand, is an unabashed toy hound. Her diamond-sharp teeth can wreak havoc on a stuffy in a matter of minutes, and all that’s left is a deflated squeaker and tufts of stuffing all over the floor. Stella would spend every waking minute chasing a ball if you throw it for her.

What is your dogs' favorite outdoor destination?

My in-law’s cattle ranch is like Doggy Disneyland for my girls! Sadly, it’s a six-hour drive from our home, so we don’t get to visit as often as we would like to. The dog park around the corner is a close second destination of preference.

Who are Daisy and Stella's best pet-pals?

My dogs aren’t keen about interacting with other dogs, but they do love my in-law’s old black Labrador Retriever.

What is each dog's best quality?

Daisy’s best quality is her old soul. She looks deeply into your eyes and conveys such incredible love.

Stella’s best quality is her optimism. She is such a happy little creature. Her funniest quality is her bravery. She thinks she can take on the world to protect us. I even caught her growling at the glowing apple on the front cover of my laptop.

If Daisy and Stella could change one thing about British Columbians, what would it be?

Daisy and Stella would definitely like to be allowed into stores and cafes in British Columbia. I think they’re actually displaced Parisians!

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which your dogs could speak, which actors should do their voices?

In a movie, I think Dame Judi Dench would portray Daisy, and Will Ferrell would portray Stella in the persona of the Elf character.

If Daisy and Stella could answer only one question in English, what would you ask them?

If my dogs could speak English, I would ask them this one question: “What can I do to make your life even better?”

What advice would your dogs give if asked?

My dogs’ advice would be: “Play outside as much as you can. Oh, and can you just stop putting that black thing with a lens up to our faces.”

Visit Jennifer Findlay's Coffee & Couch blog and Facebook page.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading about your dogs and seeing how much we have in common: couch, keurig, and love of dogs. It's always heartwarming to read about a dog who has been rescued to a good home. So happy for Stella and her best friend, Daisy. All the best!

    ReplyDelete