Thursday, February 20, 2014

Shannon Stoker & Nucky

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Shannon Stoker, I am the author of The Registry and The Collection. My dog is Nucky, he is a three year old male terrier mix.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

There was a break in the freezing weather/loads of snow so I promised to get Nucky out of the house today!

What's brewing?

Decaf caramel cappuccino with double whip cream. Nucky loves whip cream and the last thing he needs is more energy!

Any treats for you or Nucky on this occasion?

Nucky is a very picky eater, so I brought along some deli ham for him since it is his favorite.

How were you and Nucky united?

The first time Nucky was brought in to meet me he ran to the corner of the room and shook like a leaf. It was love at first sight for me. His confidence has definitely risen since then!

How did Nucky get his name? Any aliases?

Nucky is named after Steve Buscemi's Boardwalk Empire character. He is my little gangster. He sometimes goes by: Knuckles, Enoch, Nuck-Nuck, Kanook, and Mr. Mischief to name a few.

Does Nucky do more to help or hinder your writing?

The whole reason I decided to seriously try writing is because I was working long hours at a law firm and I missed Nucky so bad! I thought maybe if I got something published I could spend more time at home with him. So he is a huge inspiration for my writing. Sometimes he wants to pets though and will jump on my lap while using his head to knock my hands away from the keyboard until I pay attention to him. If I ever try to close the door to the room I am working in he will have none of that either!

Have any actual dogs inspired fictional dogs in your published work?

So far there has only been one fictional dog in my work, and she was inspired by my friend's dog Bailey.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Bark at the postman, sniff the cat, chase the squirrel. If all three presented themselves at the same time probably bark at the postman would win out.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Squeak toy! Especially when it is lights out and everyone is trying to get some sleep.

Who is Nucky's best pet-pal?

His cousin Fozzie, a bulldog [photo right]. The seem to get double the treats when they are at Grandma and Granpa's house together.

What is Nucky's best quality?

He takes some time to warm up to people, but once you're part of Nucky's inner circle he loves you to death. Lots of kisses and loyalty!

If Nucky could change one thing about Illinoisans, what would it be?

Make it mandatory every citizen carried at least one piece of pup-peroni!

If Nucky could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

Why are you always trying to stick your tongue up my nose?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Nucky could speak, who should voice him?

Morgan Freeman. They could dub my voice with his too!

Visit Shannon Stoker's website.

--Marshal Zeringue

2 comments:

  1. Cute, love the name! My dog sticks her tongue in my nose too...but she also loves the mouth and eye sockets:/

    ReplyDelete