Monday, October 21, 2013

Maria T. Lennon & Frida

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Maria T. Lennon. I write middle grade fiction the latest is Confessions of a So-called Middle Child just out from Harper Collins. My dog’s name is Frida; she’s a Cane Corso from Alba, Italy and she’s almost 2 years old.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Frida waits for me to get up each morning at 5:45. It’s dark. She usually trips me as I’m walking down the stairs to get to her food bowl before I can make it to my coffee machine. She drools all over my bare feet until I give up on the coffee and get her food. So it’s no coffee before Frida is fed.

What's brewing?

I love Folgers. I know people think I’m gross. My husband is from Italy and it’s practically heresy. But Frida judges not.

Any treats for you or Frida on this occasion?

Frida gets a heavy-duty chewing treat when I leave at seven so that she doesn’t rip the Jacuzzi cover apart. Again.

How were you and Frida united?

My mother-in-law’s dog had puppies in Italy (Frida is a Cane Corso) and so she sent us her favorite one to keep watch over her grandchildren. And she does.

How did Frida get her name?

After the great Frida Kahlo- of course.

Any aliases?

I have called her many names while she’s chewed my shoes, eye-glasses, Jacuzzi covers, remote controls….

Have any Frida-inspired dogs appeared in your books?

Nope.

Does Frida do more to help or to hinder your writing?

She helps. I like having her in the house, hearing her nails on the floors, grabbing her when I’ve typed my last page. I love her.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Jacuzzi covers.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

She can find the squeak in seconds. I purchase the toy for $10 and bring it home. Within seconds, she sticks her canine tooth through the heart of the squeaky and that’s it. Game over. She’s a master.

Does Frida have a favorite place to go for outings?

She loves her walks in the canyons where she growls at every person, dog or floating leaf she sees.

Who is Frida's best pet-pal?

She loves the kids. She watches them as though they are in imminent danger and she is the only one who can stop it.

What is Frida's best quality?

She wants to be good. No, she is good.

If Frida could change one thing about Californians, what would it be?

She’d make it mandatory that all items had squeaks.

If Frida could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

Why can’t you be nice on the leash?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Frida could speak, who should voice her?

Queen Latifa.

Visit the Confessions of a So-called Middle Child website, and follow Maria T. Lennon on Facebook and Twitter.

--Marshal Zeringue

No comments:

Post a Comment