Monday, August 12, 2013

Lisa L. Giesick & Bruce, Stan and Steve

Who are in these photos?

Bruce is a two year old, neutered male, Airedale. He is the youngest of my three dogs. I also share a home with Stan the Doberman who is 4 years old, and Steve the terrier mix who is 6 years old.

I'm Lisa L. Giesick, a Certified Professional Dog Trainer in Maui. [Lisa and Bruce, photo right]

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I am a dog trainer and behavior counselor, so my dogs get to go with me to a lot of places. They are very much part of my life.

What's brewing?

I enjoy Roy's Coffee, Vanilla Macadamia Nut flavor, brewed in my Keurig.

Any treats for you or your dogs on this occasion?

Bruce is an equal opportunity eater, however this morning he is enjoying duck snacks. Stan and Steve enjoy the duck snacks too. Steve is my pickiest eater.

How did your dogs get their names? Any nicknames?

Steve [photo left, with Lisa] got his name because to me, he looked like a Steve. His nicknames are, "Little Stevie Dog", and "Little Handsome". When he is in trouble, I call him Steven.

Stan the Doberman is a name that I gave him as his name before was Shadow. I brought Stan into my home when he was a year old. He used to live at a cat rescue sanctuary, a bad mix for him. I felt Shadow was a good cat name. I also call him, "Stanley", and "Staniel".

Bruce's family comes from Australia lines, so I felt the Bruce was appropriate. Upon later research, I learned the first Airedale that came to the United States was named Bruce. I like to roll the r, when I say his name.

How were you and your dogs united?

I adopted Steve from the Maui Humane Society. Most of my dogs have been rescues.

Stan [photo right] came to me as he was unsuited to live at the cat sanctuary.

I helped train Bruce's parents, and had part of his litter in my puppy kindergarten class.

Where do your dogs most like to visit on an outing?

They enjoy going to the Makawao Forest and the Beach. Steve pretty much like to go anywhere I am going. He is my right hand man.

Who are your dogs' best non-canine pet pals?

Steve like to hang out with our two cats, Mowgli and Winston.

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

Stan the Doberman is obsessed with jolly balls and other kong toys. They are the rising sun to him. Bruce and Steve like rawhide chews.

What is each dog's best quality?

Steve is an excellent trick dog. He plays dead, waves, speaks and sings.

Stan [with Steve, photo left] has an excellent recall.

Bruce can go anywhere and be well behaved. He is mellow and doesn't mind anyone or anything. Quite unflappable.

If your dogs could change one thing about Hawaiians, what would it be?

They don't share their food enough?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which your dogs could speak, which actors should do their voices?

That is easy as we joke about this constantly.

Steve would be played by Liam Neeson, Bruce would be Ewan McGregor and Stan would be voiced by Denzel Washington.

If your dogs could answer only one question in English, what would you ask them?

Do you mind all the doggie visitors that come to the house for board and train?

Visit the Ohana Pet Training website.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. Very entertaining read! Thanks Lisa for sharing insight into your wonderful dog family.

    ReplyDelete