Friday, July 19, 2013

Jamie Brazil & Frankie

Who is in the photo at right?

That's me, Jamie Brazil, and Frankie. She's a 7-year-old Bloodhound. We're both authors.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

We're celebrating Frankie's book, The Wisdom of the Buddhist Bloodhound.

What's brewing?

Medium roast Tully's. I use a Chemex.

Any treats for you or your dog on this occasion?

No treats. We're both on diets. However, I'm pretty sure my husband sneaks treats (not to mention he regularly cooks her special dinners... roast pork, ground round, boneless skinless chicken breast).

How did Frankie get her name? Any nicknames?

She came with the name "Freckles." Freckles??? Frankie is not a Freckle-hound. So I chose Frankie Rose because it sounded similar.

How were you and Frankie united?

We were united through the power of Craigslist. She was a hyper, underweight two-year old at a rescue when I met her. Some friends had a Bloodhound, and my husband and I had just lost our dog. I had a hole in my heart and decided that another dog might help me heal. I wanted a dog with an opposite personality that wouldn't remind me of our Pit-mix -- because no dog could ever replace him. In reflection, I probably jumped back in too soon. On the other hand, Frankie turned out to be a wonderful decision, though we had many challenges in the beginning. We spent a lot of time on training. And yes, she definitely filled that hole in my heart.

Does Frankie do more to help or hinder your writing?

Help. Definitely. She climbs under the desk and plants herself in a such a way I can't get up from my chair. Nevermind having a muse, Frankie has upped my productivity.

Who are Frankie's best pet-pals?

The list reads likes a Romper-Room who's who: there's Leo (Lab mix), and Andy and Lilly (Collies), and Turbo (Pitbull), and Blue (Lab). All neighbors' pets. There's a Cocker Spaniel named Katie who just moved in down the road, too. Can you tell Frankie and I take a lot of walks?

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

Stuffies! An Octopus with musical tentacles is her current favorite (though stuffies have short life spans in this house).

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Bloodhounds aren't prey driven, though after she sees a squirrel or bunny she has to know everywhere they went. Now cats, she considers those Supreme Universal Beings which should be equally worshiped and feared.

What is Frankie's best quality?

She has a sweet, loving and gentle personality.

If Frankie could change one thing about you, what would it be?

If she had a magic wand she'd turn me into a 40 lb bag of kibble. She's starving even after a big dinner. But like I said, we're both on diets.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Frankie could speak, which actor should do her voice?

Drew Barrymore.

If Frankie could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

I'd ask her how I could reincarnate as a Bloodhound!

Visit Jamie Brazil's website and blog, and follow her on Facebook.

--Marshal Zeringue

No comments:

Post a Comment