Monday, March 4, 2013

Jacqueline Resnick & Maple

Who is in the photo at right?

This is me, Jacqueline Resnick, with my dog, Maple, who is a seven year old toy poodle. I'm a children's book writer, and she’s great at keeping me company during long hours of writing!

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

We are celebrating the release of my first novel, a book for 8-12 year olds called The Daring Escape of the Misfit Menagerie. It's especially exciting because the book is about a friendship between children and animals, so Maple was a big inspiration for me while writing.

What's brewing?

A vanilla chai latte! Preferably the sugary Big Train brand. It's a drink I have long been obsessed with.

Any treats for you or your dog on this occasion?

Since we’re celebrating…a chocolate chip cookie for me, and a banana flavored bone for Maple. Maple loves all things banana.

How did Maple get her name?

My childhood dog was named Willow. When I got Maple—my first dog of my own—I wanted to name her after a tree as well, in honor of Willow. Unfortunately there aren't many trees that make good dog names! It was my cousin who suggested Maple, and I immediately loved it. It fit her perfectly.

How were you and Maple united?

She was a gift from my parents when I graduated college. I'd pretty much been dreaming of getting a dog since the first day of freshman year. I didn’t expect her to be so small, though! Maple was the runt of her litter, and is actually about half the size she was supposed to be.

Please tell us about your new book.

In The Daring Escape of the Misfit Menagerie, a group of four unusual animals (a sun bear, a hairy-nosed wombat, a Komondor dog, and an angora rabbit) are abducted into a cruel circus. There, they must band together with the ringmaster's nephew and a young acrobat to try to save an entire circus of captive animals.

Does Maple make any contribution to your writing?

I call her my writing partner because she's constantly by my side when I work at home. [Literally: check out the photo, right!] I'd bring her to coffee shops too if it wouldn't get me kicked out...

Who are your dog's best pet-pals?

Maple is a bit of a lone wolf, but she does love (most of the time) my sister and parents' dogs. She's the smallest of the group, but definitely the bossiest!

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

Maple has a stuffed bear that she loves, probably because it’s light enough for her to actually pick up. She also gets very excited when I take out her t-shirt. She loves wearing that t-shirt.

What is Maple's best quality?

Her love is unconditional. I can always count on her to cheer me up and make me smile.

If Maple could change one thing about Brooklynites, what would it be?

She'd probably ask that they ignore her more. She gets stopped a lot on the street because people are amazed she's so tiny. Sometimes I think she just wants to get back to her walk!

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Maple could speak, which actor should do her voice?

Sarah Silverman.

If Maple could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

How does the world look from so low down?

Visit Jacqueline Resnick's website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue

3 comments:

  1. Maple is very cute indeed. I can see how she would be an inspiration.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Maple is really very cute. I also have a dog in my house. I love him so much. As I come to home he jumps on me and starts licking all over my face. That's the way he welcomes me. LOL. Thank you for writing the blog and sharing a bit of your life here.

    Regards,
    Finn Felton
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete