Friday, January 18, 2013

Marni Mann & Codi and Bella

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Marni Mann, author of Memoirs Aren’t Fairytales and Scars from a Memoir, wife, reader, pretend-to-be-baker, traveler, and dog lover. Codi, my little man, is seven and he’s a spunky Maltese.

Bella, my little lady [pictured below], is four and she’s a super-loving Yellow Lab.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I have coffee with my dogs every morning. They don’t enjoy the hot blend as much as I do, but while I’m hugging my mug, they love the one-handed scratches and cuddles.

What's brewing?

A mocha fudge nut, Green Mountain, K-Cup (Keurig), with white chocolate creamer. Yum!

Any treats for you or your dogs on this occasion?

Nothing for me, but they’re not ones to turn down food. Ever. They just finished breakfast, so it’s not quite time for a snack yet.

How did your dogs get their names? Any aliases?

Codi was named after an old friend of mine, but I changed the “y” to an “i”. Bella was named during the Twilight fad. She really is beautiful, though. (Bella is beautiful in Italian) No, I’m not biased. Not even a little. Ha!

Codi goes by C-Unit and Tiger. Bella goes by Little Lady and Roam. She’s quite the roamer.

How were you and your dogs united?

My husband and I grew up with dogs and wanted one of our own as soon as we graduated from college. We found Codi’s breeder in the newspaper. We spent several hours at their house and left with Codi; he chose us. As for Bella, the story is about the same, but she chose us within seconds. She came flying out of the house (we met the puppies in the backyard) and jumped straight into my husband’s arms. Literally.

Do your dogs make any contribution to your writing?

Both of their names have appeared in my novels and they constantly offer inspiration, but I don’t write about animals. Dark literary fiction, my genre, is quite gritty. My love for dogs and other animals is anything but, so they don’t overlap.

Squirrel, postman, cat....?

It’s easier to list what Bella doesn’t like, which is balloons, lettuce, and hairdryers. Everyone and everything else she loves.

Codi’s just the opposite; he’s very selective with who he shows love to and everyone else he barks at.

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

All of the above. Stuffed toys don’t last too long in our house because Bella makes it her mission to find and destroy the squeaking element.

Codi could care less what he plays with, but the toy he always wants is the one in Bella’s mouth.

Who are your dogs' best pet-pals?

Their best friends are Comiskey, a Puggle, and Klyde, a Dachshund. We have puppy dates and sleepovers with Comiskey and Klyde all the time.

If your dogs could change one thing about Floridians, what would it be?

I wish Codi and Bella could make Floridians better drivers. I don’t know how that would be possible, but I’m sure my Little Loves could figure out something.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which your dogs could speak, which actors should do their voices?

Goldie Hawn would be perfect for Bella. She’s so motherly, loving, and her voice is warm, and Bella is all of these and more.

Russell Crowe would be perfect for Codi because he’s our little gladiator, super intelligent, independent, and manly.

If your dogs could answer only one question in English, what would you ask them?

You love Mommy more than Daddy, don’t you? (Wink, wink)

Visit Marni Mann's website, blog, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. What a great photo of the two of them on the couch.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete