Monday, September 3, 2012

Kelly Creagh & Annabel, Jack and Holly

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Kelly Creagh and I am a young adult author. Below are my pooches Annabel, Jack and Holly. They are such great company to me while I write.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Today we’re celebrating the release of my second book, Enshadowed, which is the sequel to my debut novel, Nevermore.

What's brewing?

I love iced mochas from the Louisville coffee shop Heine Brothers. They’re the only shop in town I know of who steams the milk for an iced coffee drink—and it makes all the difference!

[photo left: Annabel]

Any treats for you or your dogs on this occasion?

Yes! They are big fans of Beggin’ Strips and Pupperoni brand treats.

In September 2010 we learned how you and Annabel were united. How about Jack and Holly?

Currently, I’m working on my third novel in the Nevermore trilogy and, for some reason, it seems as though I get a dog every book! I think I’m going to chill out at three dogs, though. They can be a handful! I adopted Jack in 2011 from the Humane Society. Holly is a purebred Maltese. I got her last May when a friend of mine found out from the breeder that the buyer fell through and that the dog needed a home right away. I saw little Holly’s face and couldn’t help myself, I melted! She was given to me and I have enjoyed her company so much. I’m a rescue pet parent all the way and will always adopt.

How did Jack and Holly get their names? Any aliases?

Jack [photo right] got his name from Jack Skelington, my favorite character from the movie The Nightmare Before Christmas. Holly’s name was inspired by a novel project I have lurking around on the backburner of my brain. Jack’s alias is “Bubbie” and, actually, I tend to call him that more than I do his real name. He responds to both names, though, and is so very sweet. Holly’s alias is “Little Bit” for obvious reasons. My sister in law calls her any number of names including Q-tip, Cotton Ball, Marshmallow and Fluff-Stuff.

Did your dogs make any notable contribution to your new book, Enshadowed?

Oh yes. Through the drafting process for Enshadowed, I suffered the worst bout of writer’s block I’ve ever had. I really wasn’t a believer in writer’s block until I attempted to write a sequel. I think the second book in a series can be difficult and my dogs offered so much comfort through the stress. They didn’t seem to mind when I practiced character dialogue aloud or asked them for plotting advice.

What is each dog's best quality?

Annabel is very loving and so well behaved. She’s steadfast and loyal and listens very well.

Bubbie is the sweetest and most affectionate of the three. He has a good sense of my moods and can always cheer me up no matter what.

Holly [photo left] is very playful and adorably mischievous.

If your dogs could change one thing about you, what would it be?

I would let them off those dang darn leashes more often!

If your dogs could speak in the movie about your life, who should do their voices?

Annabel would sound like a dry-toned, wise-cracking teenager, so maybe Ellen Page who played Juno.

Jack is goofy and fun-loving and a little clumsy at times. He would best be voiced by John Leguizamo, who voices Sid the Sloth from the Ice Age movies.

Now Holly, Holly would need someone with a very refined British accent. If you have watched the new My Little Pony cartoon series, I imagine Holly would sound just like the fashion guru pony, Rarity. Holly is such a princess!

If your dogs could answer only one question in English, what would you ask them?

Most likely something like this. “Mom, will you please freaking come away from the computer and play? Really, we don’t understand your fascination with those funny clicking keys. The screen glows. It’s neat, we get it. But just like a chew bone, it gets old after a while. Hey...how about we just come over and tromp all over your silly computer! What is this delete button thingy? Yaaaaay it worked! You got up!”

Visit Kelly Creagh's website.

Read--Coffee with a Canine: Kelly Creagh and Annabel (September 2010).

--Marshal Zeringue

No comments:

Post a Comment