Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Flynn & Roxy

Who is in the photo at right?

This is Roxy and me, Flynn. We live in Melbourne, Australia. I am a student and have a passion for writing. When I am older, I would like to be a journalist, novelist or editor.

Roxy is an 8 month old Cavoodle. If you're wondering what a Cavoodle is, it is a King Charles Cavalier X Mini Poodle. She loves going for long walks and visiting her friends at the dog park. Roxy and I both love the weekends because for her it means ‘time to play’ and for me it means ‘time to rest’, so we have to do both.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I’m just sitting on the couch with Roxy while relaxing from the stress of life. Roxy is sitting on my lap and her heart beat is very fast.

We would usually go out to a café on the weekend on the way to the park, but we have too much going on this week.

What's brewing?

I’m having hot chocolate. Sorry if it’s against the rules because it’s not coffee, but I have a sweet tooth and a craving for chocolate.

Any treats for you or Roxy on this occasion?

I am also having Flake chocolate bar, like I said; I have a craving for chocolate.

Roxy is munching away on a Schmackos liver treat. I don’t want to give her any chocolate because it might make her sick; also, she is fat enough as it is. I don’t want to give her any coffee in case she goes wild, which most of the time she already is.

How did Roxy get her name? Any aliases?

When we bought Roxy, we had to come back the next day to pick her up. We had already been thinking of some names. We came up with: Micky or Roxy. When we were driving to the breeders, we stopped at a red light and on the back of the car in front of us there was a sticker that said ‘ROXY’ on it. We decided then that it was fate and that we had to name her Roxy.

How were you and Roxy united?

I have wanted to get a dog for years but we never ended up getting around to it. About 6 months ago, we started looking around for a puppy. After some advice and research, we decided that a Cavoodle would be a good dog for us, especially since it is half poodle which is great for me since I am an asthmatic. We weren’t planning on buying her; we were planning on buying a dog at another shop but stopped in at this breeder anyway. When we walked in, we saw Roxy sleeping. There was a bunch of other people looking at Roxy, so we decided that we had to buy her before anyone else did. That was the day that changed my life.

Rabbit, postman, cat...?

Rabbit? Not many rabbits around where I live.

Postman? She occasionally barks at the postman but I am not home when he comes to drop off the mail, so I don’t know.

Cat? Roxy has an ongoing battle with our cat, Puss. They are always fighting and attacking each other but they are finally starting to get along. They sometimes share the leftovers, I know that we probably shouldn’t feed it to them! Roxy’s enemy is the cat, Puss but hopefully they will soon be friends.

Squeaky-toy, ball, boomerang...?

Boomerang? Sadly, no boomerang for Roxy.

Squeaky toy? Roxy loves her squeaky toy. She is always running around with it in her mouth which gets extremely annoying but also very cute. It also happens to double as her tug-of-war toy, even though it is not designed for that.

Ball? Of course! Whenever we take Roxy to the park, we take her ball and ball-thrower. She is also very fast for her small size -- she runs like a bolt!

However, Roxy has also had a very bad experience with her ball. She once ate it, yes, she swallowed all of the rubber; we then found it the next morning in her vomit… Ew.

What is Roxy's best quality?

Roxy’s best quality is her loyalty and love towards everyone. Whenever we come home she is always jumping all over us and running around in circles.

She will always love us whenever we need someone, she is always there; that’s what dogs are for.

She also happens to love everyone, even people that don’t like her. Whenever I take her for a walk in a crowded road, she is always jumping up at strangers and trying to lick them on the face. Roxy also loves life and is always happy to be where she is or do what she is doing, especially if she is at the park.

If Roxy could change one thing about Victorians, what would it be?

If Roxy could change something about Victorians, it would be that everyone would pat her and give her lots of attention, that is what she loves.

What is Roxy's proudest moment?

Roxy’s proudest moment would probably be when she kept on winning best dog and prizes at Puppy School when she was only 10 weeks old. All of the other dogs where much older and bigger than her, but she stood her ground and won a whole load of prizes at the exams.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Roxy could speak, which actor should do her voice?

What a tough question. Roxy is a very little lady with a big attitude. She's a King Charles Cavalier which (I am pretty sure) are from England, so probably someone with an English accent. I would have to say Kate Winslet. Funny, I know.

Visit the Destructive Puppy blog and Facebook page.

--Marshal Zeringue

No comments:

Post a Comment