Monday, April 18, 2011

Ashley Owen Hill & Riley and Darla

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Ashley Owen Hill, and I am an animal rescuer. I have my own animal rescue group, Lucky Dog Rescue, in Meridian, Mississippi, and I share my rescue experiences on my blog, Lucky Dog Rescue Blog. I own my own business, a boarding kennel named Lucky Dog Retreat. I am also the Co-Founder and Director for Pet Pardons.

In the photo, both dogs are to my left. Darla is the dog sitting on the bench with me. Darla is an 8 month old, female, Boxer/Beagle mix. I rescued her from death row.

Riley is the dog to my left at my feet. He is a 1 year old, male, Pit Bull mix. He was rescued from a dog fighting operation.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I have a daily coffee date with my pups. It’s our special time together.

What's brewing?

Soy latte.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

Just the coffee & the pups! That's all the goodies I need!

Any treat for your dogs on this occasion?

Yes! My dogs love Veggie Life Vitality treats! They just gobbled them down!

How were you and your dogs united?

I rescued Darla from death row as a baby puppy. She was scheduled for euthanasia the day I pulled her out. She was very sick, infested with worms, and terrified. Today, she is the sweetest, most loving, happiest girl you will ever meet!

Riley is my personal dog. He was rescued from a dog fighting operation as a puppy. He is my special angel who goes everywhere with me! He and one of my foster dogs, Darla, are best friends!

Please tell us about your rescue work.

My animal rescue group, Lucky Dog Rescue, is located in Meridian, Mississippi. Lucky Dog Rescue is focused on saving dogs from death row, abuse cases, and those who have been forgotten. I write about my rescue experiences on my blog, Lucky Dog Rescue Blog. I am also the Co-Founder and Director for Pet Pardons, the facebook application that allows users to get involved in saving the lives of real shelter pets. In addition, I am the Mississippi/Alabama State Liaison for Animal Rescue Corps, and the Mississippi Area Rep for Dogs Deserve Better.

How did your dogs get their names? Any aliases?

Darla was such a sweet, innocent little puppy, and she reminded me of the precious little Darla from Little Rascals.

In choosing Riley’s name, I wanted something that sounded cute and friendly, to match his personality, and the name “Riley” seemed to fit perfectly!

Cat, squirrel, postman...?

They love to chase squirrels!

Tennis ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

My pups love all toys, but squeaky toys seem to be the most popular. They love to mangle them and pull the squeakers out!

Where is your dogs' favorite place for outings?

They love walks around the golf course, but they also love our trips to the lake! Riley could play in the lake for hours!

Who are your dogs' best pet-pals?

Riley and Darla are best friends, but they are also big buddies with all of my (many) other foster dogs! Two of their fav pals are Liberty (1 year old, female, black Lab mix) and Lucy (4 month old, Lab/Hound mix puppy). The 4 of them run and play together all day long!

What is each dog's best quality?

Darla’s best quality is her loving nature. She is the best cuddle buddy ever! She loves to snuggle right next to me on the couch and give me special kisses. That little girl can melt my heart like no other!

Riley’s best quality is his outgoing personality and love for other dogs. With so many foster dogs coming through my home, it’s so amazing to have a dog that does great with all of them! He is a big part of the rehabilitation process for many of my rescue dogs.

What is each dog's proudest moment? Most embarrassing?

Darla’s proudest moment would be the day she was rescued. I could see it in the smile on her face… someone finally thought she was special enough to live.

Darla’s most embarrassing (and probably most painful) moment was when she ripped the stitches out of her tummy following her spay, and I had to rush her to the vet for repair. Poor baby looked so humiliated!

Riley’s proudest moment was the first day he went to work with me at Lucky Dog Retreat! He loved playing with all the other dogs and was so proud to be at work with his mom.

Riley’s most embarrassing moment was when he chewed up my shoe his first day with me. He felt really badly about mutilating that poor shoe.

Learn more about Ashley Owen Hill's rescue experiences at her blog,
Lucky Dog Rescue Blog.

Visit
Pet Pardons, the facebook application that allows users to get involved in saving the lives of real shelter pets, Animal Rescue Corps, and Dogs Deserve Better.

--Marshal Zeringue