Friday, January 14, 2011

Peggy Frezon & Kelly

Who is in the photo at right?

Hi! This is me, Peggy Frezon, and my little rescue dog, Kelly. I am a pet columnist, blogger, writer for Guideposts magazine and Chicken Soup for the Soul books, and author. Kelly is 9 years old, and my best guess is that she is a cocker spaniel-long haired dachshund mix, although recently I've noticed this breed called Cavalier King Charles spaniel, and she looks like she may have some of that too.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Since I write full time from home every day, Kelly is my office-mate. She always reminds me to take a break, mostly so I can give her some attention! But by following her lead and taking a break, the rest of my day is usually more productive.

Diet Coke instead of coffee? Any goodies to go with the beverage?

I don't know why but I've never drank a cup of coffee. But I do love Diet Coke, even for breakfast! My favorite snack to go with my Diet Coke is a banana.

Any treat for Kelly on this occasion?

Kelly enjoys some banana too.

How were you and Kelly united?

We found Kelly on the Petfinders website. At the time, our two kids were growing up and leaving for college, and I thought another dog would help fill the rapidly emptying nest. We had a 12-year-old yellow lab then, and I hoped a little sister might help perk him up. It turned out that she bossed him around quite a bit, but I think he kind of liked it.

How did Kelly get her name? Any aliases?

Kelly is the name she was given at her rescue home. We considered changing it, but since she was about a year old when we got her, we decided to stick with the name she was accustomed to. She's a real girly girl, with long reddish hair, and I think the name fits.

Cat, squirrel, postman...?

All of the above. Kelly barks incessantly at the mail carrier, goes crazy whenever she sees a cat, and chases off squirrels in the yard. (The squirrels always tempt her and then confuse her by scampering up a tree and leaping from limb to limb. She can never figure out where they've gone.)

Tennis ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Tennis ball. She follows the same routine:Chase tennis ball for two minutes, stop and peel off felt, then crack it open like an egg. For squeaky toys she immediately de-squeaks, unstuffs, then decapitates and dismembers.

Where is Kelly's favorite place for an outing?

Her Grandma and Grandpa's camp up in the mountains. Oh, the smells! There's a lake too, and she loves to swim.

Who are Kelly's best pet-pals?

Kelly does not play well with others. I fill in as her favorite pet pal.

If Kelly could change one thing about you, what would it be?

That I would share all my meals with her.

What is Kelly's proudest moment? Most embarrassing?

Proudest moment would be our new book coming out this August, Dieting with My Dog. She inspired me to do whatever it takes to keep her healthy and fit... and motivated me to lose weight along with her. Now we are working hard to maintain our weight loss.

Most embarrassing is probably when she was a puppy and got stuck under this fence. Doesn't she look embarrassed?

Visit Peggy Frezon's website and the Peggy's Pet Place blog, and read Frezon's Pawsitively Pets column.

--Marshal Zeringue