Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Katelyn Nesi & Bambi

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Katelyn Nesi. I am a professional photographer. Bambi is my Chihuahua and my best little 5-year-old gal pal. She hides from my camera, but I always manage somehow to capture her silly personality.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I don’t drink coffee, but as the weather cools I enjoy drinking hot chai tea.

What's brewing?

Organic Chai Tea with Coconut Milk.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

No goodies with the coffee, but Bambi will enjoy a snack after we play in the park.

How were you and Bambi united?

I came across Bambi on a shelter’s website. She had the most gigantic ears I’d ever seen and a precious little face. I just had to meet her! When I adopted her, I was warned she was fearful and had trust issues. She was presumable beaten and abused by a male. Now, five years later, she has a sweet loving demeanor. Although, she still enjoys her snarls at my husband Chris!

Any treat for Bambi on this occasion?

Bambi absolutely loves Dingo dental bones. So, since she hates the camera, I thought a dingo might get her excited!

What's the most difficult aspect of photographing a dog?

Dogs don’t really like big cameras in their face nor do they like the shutter sound. The second I take out my camera around Bambi, she hides or snarls. Most dogs though just have a lot of energy and you have to ready to run, play and laugh with them.

How did Bambi get her name? Does she have any nicknames?

When I adopted Bambi my mom was with me. She said she looked like the little deer, Bambi. And then the name just stuck.

Squirrel, cat, postman...?

Bambi loves to chase squirrels. I’ve gotten some fun images of her standing tall at the bottom of a tree while a squirrel looks down at her. She enjoys running after cats as well, and doesn’t care for strangers. The UPS man is her favorite to bark at!

Tennis ball, Frisbee, squeaky-toy...?

Bambi doesn’t play with many toys and when she does, it’s rare. Occasionally she likes to throw stuff animals around and attack them. She usually does this when she’s not getting enough attention, like when we have company. Then everyone looks, smiles and she notices you watching. Once she’s gotten your attention, she drops the toy and goes to lay down.

Where is Bambi's favorite place for an outing?

Bambi loves to go to grandma’s house! Anytime I pick-up her travel crate, she screams and dances with excitement. When we get to grandmas, she is thrilled! If we’re not traveling anywhere, she loves to just sit outside in the sun on the back patio.

Who is Bambi's best pet-pal?

Bambi doesn’t really like other pets, but she is best pals with me. She loves to cuddle up and sleep on my lap while I’m editing photos or watching TV. She’s my little heater in the winter.

What is Bambi's most endearing quality?

She easily stops being grumpy with a few commands, tickles and cuddles. She can switch from a sleepy mood to a loving, fun, peppy one in moments.

If Bambi could change one thing about you, what would it be?

She would probably want me to be home more to cuddle with her. Sometimes I’m really busy. I’ll be out all day or I have a lot to get done, so I never sit down to cuddle or let her sleep on my lap. She gets upset by that and starts to ignore me. I feel bad when a whole week passes without evening TV cuddles!

What is Bambi's proudest moment? Most embarrassing?

Bambi’s proudest moment was probably when she began trusting me.

She was a terror for the first 8 months after adopting her, ready to attack all the time. I took her to a local trainer, where we went to classes for 8 weeks with other dogs like pit bulls and rottweilers. She was a pea next to these peaceful giants. She hated training and the trainers. She was used most often as the example of how to handle your pet when they are aggressive, too.

The first night of training, two of my fingers were chewed up and I had to get a tetanus shot the next day. I have a picture to show how I had to put her in a “down” and keep her there for 30 minutes, with my fingers all bandaged! I spent most of the first two weeks of training afraid of her.

Then, we magically started to change together. We began to trust each other and the fear subsided. Eight weeks later, she went on to pass the test for Canine Good Citizenship through the AKA. It was so amazing and I was so happy to have a better relationship with her finally.

Her most embarrassing moment has to be when she runs excitedly around the house before we head out the door with her in her travel crate. She will whip herself around, dance and squeal, but then she attempts to jump up high or over to the couch and lands smack on her face. She just gets right back up though and goes at it again!

Visit Kate Nesi's photography website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue