Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Geri Golding & Goldie and Merle

Who is in the photo at right?

I am Geri Golding. My husband David Higgs and I own a children's boutique called Gigi's Fabulous Kids' Fashions & Toys located in Rosemary Beach, Florida.

My pups are Goldie and Merle. Goldie is a 7-year-old Belgian Tevuran mix and Merle is a 9-year-old Australian shepherd mix.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

We are celebrating the fact that it's finally cooling off enough to enjoy relaxing by the pool again!

What's brewing?

Bustelo black. On my third cup!

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

My husband's homemade Barnie Bread (recipe passed down from his dad, Barnie). It's so good it doesn't even need butter or jam.

Any treat for Goldie and Merle on this occasion?

I had to bribe them with a few milkbones to get them to pose pretty for the picture.

How were you and your dogs united?

We host a lemonade stand at my children's store on the weekends to raise money for our local no kill animal shelter, the Alaqua Animal Refuge. Last year, on one of my trips to the shelter to take a donation, I met Goldie and Merle. They had grown up together but their previous owner became ill and unable to care for them anymore. The shelter hoped that someone would adopt them both, rather than splitting them up. The moment I met them I just knew we belonged together.

How did the dogs get their names? Any aliases?

They came with the names Tanya and Merle, which reminded me too much of Tanya Tucker and Merle Haggard. I am not a fan. So when I learned that "Merle" is actually the term for her particular coloring, I decided to just change Tanya's name to Goldie since she is goldish in color. She doesn't seem to mind the name change at all. I don't think she likes country music either. When they are being super sweet we call them Goldie Goo and Merley Poo.

Cat, squirrel, postman...?

If you are a lizard, watch out! You have absolutely no chance against Goldie.

Tennis ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Merle is perfectly happy with just a stick.

Where is Goldie and Merle's favorite place for an outing?

We walk through our neighborhood every day twice a day. They love it when we walk by the elementary school and the kids at recess yell out "look at the pretty doggies!!"

Who are your dogs' best pet-pals?

One of their best DOG friends is a goldador named Bristol who actually works as a guide dog! They think he's a rock star.

If your dogs could change one thing about you, what would it be?

The "no dogs on the couch" policy.

What is each dog's proudest moment? Most embarrassing?

Both Goldie and Merle have been featured on my store blog ("the glob") several times. (Here is a recent post about our one year anniversary together.)

They've even pretended to write a couple of entries themselves, which, come to think of it, probably ranks as some of their most embarrassing moments. (Here is a post in which Merle "interviews" Bristol the guide dog.)

Visit
the Gigi's Fabulous Kids' Fashions & Toys website and Facebook page.

--Marshal Zeringue