Monday, July 26, 2010

Day Cretsinger-Stephens & George, Cosmo, Juan Carlos and Sophie

Who is in the photo at right?

That's me, Day Cretsinger-Stephens, and my little chihuahua, Juan Carlos, lying on my lap while I am working on the computer. Juan Carlos is about 3 years old and is the only one of my dogs that is a convenient travel companion. As a singer/songwriter he used to go with me everyday to the studio and he travels with me when I fly too. He is super sweet and very spoiled.

Who are you and what do you do?

I am a singer/songwriter residing in Texas. When I'm not making music I'm reading books and reviewing them for Paperback Dolls.

Who are your dogs?

George and Cosmo are my male, white labradoodles. They are from the same litter and are 4-years-old. Juan Carlos is a 3-year-old male Chihuahua. Sophie is a 2-year-old female Great Dane.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I have coffee with my four legged crew everyday when I'm home.

What's brewing?

Today I drove through the drive through at Starbucks on the way home from running errands this AM. I picked up my favorite Dirty, double, sugar free-vanilla, chai tea latte. The barista calls it "Day's complicated Chai" since I order it so much.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

Well, I grabbed a blueberry crumb bar while at Starbucks but Sophie stole it when I got up to get my sunglasses! (She is naughty.)

Any treat for your dogs on this occasion?

Absolutely! They are each chewing on a rawhide chewy except for Sophie who is licking up the crumbs from my blueberry crumb bar from Starbucks.

How were you and your dogs united?

All of my pooches were rescued or came in as strays. George and Cosmo were two of a litter of 17 (no kidding). I was playing with the idea of taking one home when I overheard the lady saying that she was going to take the remaining pups to a shelter. So, I took three and found a wonderful home for one with my friends in Oregon. But, I was too attached to George & Cosmo to let them go so I kept them.

Juan Carlos I found on the campus of the University of Oklahoma. He wouldn't walk or stand so I took him to the vet down the street and $424 later I had paid for a chihuahua (in vet bills). Sophie came to me because a friend had gotten their daughter a puppy for Christmas (bad idea BTW) and were not prepared to take care of a Great Dane puppy. They knew that I was a dog person and had a beloved Great Dane as a young adult. They gave her to me so that she would be better taken care of.

How did your dogs get their names?

George and Cosmo were named after Seinfeld characters (had I kept their litter mate he might have been named Jerry). Juan Carlos was a name that the students at my performing arts studio picked, and we kept it. Sophie came to me with that name...I think she looks more like a Gertrude but Sophie stuck! Though my husband tends to call her "Sookeh" said like Charlaine Harris' character on HBO's True Blood, Bill Compton. It's funny and she answers to it regardless.

Cat, squirrel, postman...?

Lizards, frogs, and birds! It's so gross.

Frisbee, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Rawhide chews, kong and tennis balls! But George has this "baby", which is a cocker spaniel webkinz toy that he takes care of and sleeps with like a kid with a stuff animal.

Where are your dogs' favorite places for an outing?

Our backyard! We have a big pool and playground that they love to play in and Juan Carlos is quite the little swimmer though Sophie is scared of the water!

Who are your dogs' best pet-pals?

Each other, but poor Juan is too tiny to play with the big kids. At 3 lbs he is the size of a snack for Sophie!

What is each dog's best quality?

They just love me so much and want to be near me. They make me feel special! George is my protector, Cosmo is my Teddy bear, Sophie is faithful, and Juan Carlos is...well he is just so darn cute!

What is each dog's proudest moment?

If I had to guess George and Sophie's proudest moment would be the moments when they catch a rodent. They proudly bring it to the back door like an offering. Cosmo is quite the frisbee catcher and Juan is probably pretty proud of himself when he stands up to the big guys.

Most embarrassing?

That's a tough one to answer.... Falling into the pool by mistake is probably the funniest and embarrassing thing the bigger dogs have done.

Day Cretsinger-Stephens is a dreamer who has never met a stranger. She is fearless and will talk to anyone and read anything! She taught music and dance and owned her own music studio. She spent years performing on stages both nationally and overseas in the same circles as such artists as Blake Shelton, Toby Keith, Katrina Elam, All American Rejects, Shiny Toy Guns, Amber Hayes, and more. Now married with children, she spends less time singing on stage and more time writing songs at home. But, family life has not completely slowed her down. She still loves an adventure and learning new things. She is a founding member and senior contributor to Paperbackdolls.com which is a cyber version of The View that focuses on books. She resides in Texas with her family, Sophie, Juan Carlos, and George and Cosmo.

--Marshal Zeringue